How to automatically manage spam filtering on your WordPress website using Akismet WordPress plugin?
From top of my WordPress Plugin list, Akismet is the number one plugin for spam protection on WordPress. Once your blog gets popular on the Internet, many people start to put their own website links in your blog/website comments section in order to get some traffic out from your website and ‘rank higher’ in search engines such as Google. Or worth case scenario they could inject miscellaneous codes through your blog comment section or forms. Akismet is great tool to automatically detect and delete these spam. It is very easy to set up just by following these steps:
- Log in to your WordPress admin section via yourdomain/wp-admin
- From the left menu select Plugins -> Add New
- Search for Akismet and click Install
- Go back to plugins list and click activate
- Now click on Settings
- Inside the Akismet Setting page you need to provide an ‘Akismet API Key’. You can obtain this when you sign up for an account on Akismet website. The sign up page’s link is provided in the Setting page but you can access it here as well: http://akismet.com/wordpress/
- After sign up you can choose the free subscription plan and get the API key
- Once you have the API Key simply add it to the setting page and click Save Changes
That’s it; the Akismet plugin is now blocking all the spam automatically.
Please share your thoughts in the comment section 🙂